Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Word of the Day - BEER

Visit Dr. House Cleaning

There are quotes about beer, jokes about beer, stories about beer, lovers of beer and haters of beer. Nonetheless, football games, barbeques and beer, whether you like them all or in part, became icons of American culture, along with baseball, hot dogs, Chevrolet and apple pie.



Meeker, Colorado Saloon, 1899.
In the days of the wild, wild West. . .

Longhorn saloons' piano tunes
Invited one to mosey up to the bar
Whiskey and sarsaparilla called
As stagecoaches arrived from afar

But for those parched and dusty
The volumes of beer did boast

Knock it back in a hurry, boys
No time for even a toast


Into the 20th century. . .

The Very First Beer Can
Let's take a journey back in time to Richmond, VA, Thursday, January 24,1935. Beer's popularity was growing and growing with it being guzzled by rich and poor alike beating the consumption of any other alcoholic beverage. Because of its extreme demand more and better ways of production were being sought. With canned goods being around since 1909, this was a logical avenue to pursue. While the concept of canned beer was not very well received, the actual production became an overwhelming success! Canned beer would not require a deposit, was easier to stack, more durable and took less time to chill.

****************************************************************

A Bit of Trivia: Did you know. . .

. . .the art of brewing is as old as civilization? Read MORE. . .

. . .beer is "one of the oldest beverages humans have produced, dating back to at least the 5th millennium BC and recorded in the written history of Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia?" Read MORE. . .

. . .as a rule of thumb, the colder the state, the more beer consumption? Many Americans may now be unwinding by uncorking a bottle of wine, but by and large the U.S. is still a beer-drinking nation. Read MORE. . .


 A squirrel guards the bud light...

Is beer popular? Ask the owner of this gasoline, OOPS! beer pump!
Location: Somewhere along the highway

 Does beer tempt your palate or do you prefer a fine wine or perhaps maybe even a cold glass of iced tea (Southern or Long Island)?

16 comments:

  1. Sharla,

    It's cold tea for me. I never took a liking to beer. Didn't understand how anyone could get past that taste, but our taste buds are different.
    I love the bit of history that you shared with us, however.
    If I'm not mistaken, someone bought a six pack of unopened Krueger beer to the show Pawn Stars, and although it was quite dated, they didn't purchase it, but told the guy it would make a great conversation piece.
    Interesting history here. I love it!
    Cherrye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked it either. I was 63 years old when I drank my first beer. I had worked in the yard and it was a scorcher of a day. When I came in, my husband said "You need a beer! You are dehydrated." It was one of those small light beers in the bottle. I call them 'baby beers' and I must say it did what it was suppose to do but I haven't had one since. What does that tell you? LOL:>)

      Delete
  2. Well I like beer, chills my brain off and goes in way too easily than other wines. Haha. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that! I say either you like it or you don't!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I Googled Tom and watched his video I Like Beer. . .um-m-m? Maybe I should include that too! LOL:>)

      Delete
  4. Sharla, I used to drink beer back in the day, but it is wine now. I believe both to be an acquired taste. I can not believe that you were 63! How old are you anyway, girl? You look fabulous!!!! Thanks for the sweet post. I liked the commercial (I don't watch TV)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be 66 this month. My 65th was so funny because I qualified for medicare and it was a BIG deal for us! The picture was taken a few years ago but I really have not changed. When my mom died at 91, she looked in her 70s. Everyone always commented on how well she kept her complexion. It was remarkable. . .

      Delete
  5. Yep! You either like it or you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Len! Thank you for the compliment. . .has to be in the genes. My mom passed away at 91 and she looked like she was in her seventies. NO way did she look in her 90s. Her complexion was unbelieveable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Sharla, i like beer also, and i too must compliment you or should i compliment your mother for passing you the right genes! I know the feeling, my 17 year old's classmates told her they thought i was 46, and being sixty, i will accept the compliment wholeheartedly. You are always a blessing, thanks for sharing the message. Have a very blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendell, so glad to have you stop by Awakenings! Always good to hear from you, my dear friend. Hey, congratulations to you on the good genes, too:>)

      Delete
  8. I don't mind a nice cold beer after I've been mowing lawns and digging in the garden. Yummo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cheeseburger and a cold draft beer - that's paradise! (via Jimmy Buffet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that! Never acquired the taste so really don't know how well it would go with the cheeseburger. Ice cold Coca-Cola...that's my style:>)

      Delete
  10. Excellent!! Amazing how some thing so simple work so well , while other seeminly great things simply don't.

    ReplyDelete